The Book Thief - Trudy White, Markus Zusak I seriously believe that all teens and adults should be required to read this book. It’s more than a book about the Holocaust. It’s about the power of love and the power of words.

After some serious book pushing from fellow GoodReaders I finally placed this one at the top of my TBR. I admit for the first ¼ of the book I was wondering what the big deal was about. Yes, the narrator was unique but the story certainly wasn’t captivating enough for me to claim 5 star book love. But, then I reached the Parisian chapter and well that’s when the waterworks started and everything changed. I can’t go into what the chapter is about since I don’t want to spoil it, but the subject matter was handled superbly. After this chapter I was very engaged by Zusak’s writing and creativity. Of course any story on the Holocaust is bound to draw some tears, however, Zusak’s story was different for me in that his message was powerful and inspirational. It really struck a chord with me and at times has haunted me even though a couple of month has passed since I read it.

I’ve since read this book and I Am Messenger. Zusak is a very talented and creative writer. I hope he keeps writing creative and inspiring stories as we need more of them in this world.