Three Bags Full - Leonie Swann I listened to this on audio. This is a charming and very witty murder mystery in which the detectives are sheep and a couple of rams out to find the murderer of their beloved shepherd, George. I was pleasantly surprised with how the story progressed because I was under the impression that this would be a cute animal murder mystery, however, it turned out to be much more than that.

There are about 15 or more individual characters (animals and human) and each one was nicely fleshed out, even the members of the flock. The investigation team is lead by Miss Marple (the smartest sheep in Glennkill), Othello (the black ram), Mopple the Whale (the sheep with the best memory and eater of the group), Zora (the climber who loves to dream about the Abyss), and Cloud (the softest sheep in the flock). Together this A-team sets out on the difficult quest of not only finding the murderer but bringing justice to George.

I thought the author did a very good job of writing the story from the flock’s perspective. Even though some of the sheep had to display some human behavior to interact with the human characters in the story, their personalities, behavior and even viewpoints still remained very animal like. It was very interesting viewing the world and human characters from the eyes of the sheep in the flock. It lent a unique quality to the story, however, I think because I was audioing this and I wasn’t listening to the chapters in one sitting, it was sometimes confusing to figure out what happened exactly when it was from the perspective of one of the sheep. I believe that if I was reading the book it would have been easier to follow.