Island of the Sequined Love Nun - Christopher Moore I’ve read a few of Christopher Moore’s books by now- Lamb, A Dirty Job, You Suck: A Love Story and Fool. I never really know what to expect from him, so I tend to read his books blindly and hope for a good laugh which I usually get. With the exception of Fool, I’ve found all of Moore’s books hysterically funny. There is always a creative plot line and left field twists and turns that keep me on my toes and makes me wonder how does he think of these things?!

Island of the Sequined Love Nun is one of Moore’s non-paranormal books, so I was excited going into this since I knew it would be different than the others I’ve read. I admit I didn’t find it as funny as his paranormal stories or Lamb, but I had moments where I was chuckling out loud while trying not to look like a fool in public.

Tucker Case loses his job as a pilot for Mary Jean Cosmetics after his drunken airborne sex-capade with a prostitute goes horribly wrong. Not only does he crash the giant pink plane nearly taking out his manhood in the process, but the prostitute threatens to sue him and Mary Jean has sent henchmen after him. Looking for a way out Tucker finds a job opportunity on a remote island piloting secret missions for a shady medical missionary. Getting to the island is half the adventure for Tucker. On his way he encounters Kimi, a cross dressing transvestite with a fruit bat named Roberto for a companion, the Shark people, a few ninjas and the High Priestess. The secondary characters were pretty funny and their interactions with Tucker had me laughing for the most part. However, at times the story did get serious and the secret part of Tucker’s missions was nothing to laugh about.

Overall the story did have its hilarious moments and surprisingly enough it ended up being a feel good book, but I felt like it took some time to get there. If the book was a bit shorter with more hilarious scenes than I probably would have rated it a star higher since I thought it had potential.