Milkweed - Jerry Spinelli This one fell short of my expectations. I kept hearing all this hype about it and I was really excited to finally get into it, but as I was reading this book I felt like I was pushing myself to read. I had a hard time relating and caring for the characters, which makes me feel heartless considering the horrific subject this book tackles. I was coasting with a 2 star rating, but then the ending bumped it to a 3 star for me.

The book is written from the perspective of Uri, a young orphan experiencing the horrors of the Holocaust. It is a unique perspective to see the war through a child’s eyes, especially a child who has been on his own since very young and has had no schooling. However, for some reason I found the perspective annoying at times. I think it had to do with the fragmented sentences in the beginning of the book, which were used for affect. As the book progresses the sentences become more fluid, but I found the writing distracting. As a result, I wasn’t able to relate to Uri and at times I wanted to slap him so he could take the situation he was in more seriously.