The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams I almost missed this little gem thanks to my prejudice against sci-fi. Anytime a book is labeled as such my brain freezes and doesn't know what to do with itself. Thankfully, a co-worker referenced one of the passages while having a conversation about office idiots and it peaked my interest enough to pick it as a group read.

In case you are wondering what the passage is:
"One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about human beings was their habit of continually stating and repeating the obvious, as in It's a nice day, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty foot well, are you alright? At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behaviour. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working."

So yup, now I have to eat my words about sci-fi. Nom, nom, nom! I thoroughly enjoyed my ride across the galaxy and I can't wait to read more. :)