Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James Despite the qualms I had with the first book I was quite excited to get started on book 2. I don’t know what I was hoping for, but unfortunately the mind candy addiction I had going on with the first book came crashing down while reading the second book.

I think my problem really was the wash and repeat cycle E.L. James had going on with this one. The basic plot of the book was argue, have make-up sex, forgive everything, have some more sex, argue again and so on and so forth. The entire freaking book! The drama factor was through the roof and much of it felt contrived just to move the plot along into a third book. For example, when Ana starts working for Jack Hyde. All the signs were there Ana. All the signs were there! But no, she continues acting like an oblivious idiot. Then to make it worse he gets fired and she takes over his job after being there like all of 2 weeks. I’m sorry, but you expect me to believe there wasn’t anyone else that has been working at the company for years more suitable for the job? And you expect me to believe Christian had nothing to do with it? Um, yeah right.

What gets me is that these characters are only 5 weeks into their relationshit. And yes I spelled that right…relationshit. That’s the only word that is suitable for this so called world wind romance Ana and Christian are going through. Yet 5 weeks in and it feels like 5 years. Ana and Christian have progressed in their relationshit, yet they still don’t know each other well enough to be comfortable around each other. Every little thing that Ana does makes her afraid of how Mr. Fifty Shades of Fucked Up is going to react. Why would you want to marry someone you’re scared of? Yes, I get it you love him but maybe work on those issues first before proceeding into the next step.

The one positive thing I can say is that Christian has developed nicely as a character. His reasons for falling into BDSM are revealed and I actually felt empathy for him. Ana, on the other hand, is still her naïve flip-floppity self. In this one I really wanted to throttle her, particularly, when it came to her annoying as hell internal dialogue. I lost count of the “Oh no’s” “Oh shit’s” “Oh Christian’s” and so on and so forth. It’s really frustrating being in her head.

I will be finishing out the series though. Fortunately, a coworker of mine decided to invest in the paper copies and I will be borrowing book three from her.