Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A. S. King It’s always hard for me to write a review for a book I love because I always come off like a squealing fan girl. But screw it here I go:

description

This is what book love is about folks. I read this on the recommendation of two GR friends even though the book description didn’t do much for me. I thought it was going to be one of those books that dragged the big reveal out to the very end. One of those that always alludes to the mystery and then finally when it comes it’s totally anticlimactic. I didn’t think that was the case with this book. Although it alluded to the mystery it only did so at certain points, so I didn’t find it annoying and in my face that I wasn’t in the know about the mystery. Instead King reveals the story in layers, through multiple viewpoints and a shifting timeline, so that the story never dragged and made it easy to keep reading. Admittedly, the story didn’t capture me right away, but when it did I found it hard to put down. Luckily, it reads fast!

King covers quite a bit of territory in this book. The issues range from dealing with regret and grief, abuse, drug use to general growing pains. The beauty though was that it never felt preachy to me. Vera is an intelligent, observant 18 year old who is messed up due to her parents’ divorce and now through the loss of her childhood best friend Charlie Kahn. Charlie has a lot of issues of his own and we see how these two navigate the waters of childhood together until their teen years when Charlie chooses a different path that ultimately leads to their rift. I thought King handled these issues well and in a realistic manner.

My review squealing doesn’t do this book justice, but I would recommend this book to everyone. King raises a lot of ethical, and at times controversial, questions that affect both teens and adults. At some point in our lives we all deal with these types of issues and I think King raises them in a creative manner. The writing is simplistic, yet power. There are no sparkling vampires, there are no love triangles or dim witted heroines (ahem, Luce Price from Fallen). This is a book with an intelligent main character dealing with all the shit of teenage angst and then some.

I’ll leave you with two of my favorite quotes:
"It didn't work because I knew not to give the best of myself to the worse of people"

"How will I ever soar with the eagles if I'm surrounded by turkeys?"