Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy, Tom Percival This book is another free gem I got off the YA Sync Summer Audio Program. I really love this program because I end up listening to stuff that I otherwise wouldn’t have picked up on my own. The cover of the book looked hokey and the description didn’t do much for me, but I was pleasantly surprised when I started listening that it was actually a fun, intelligent read.

The story is of Skulduggery Pleasant who is a walking, talking magic wielding skeleton. Skulduggery is as cool and awesome as his name implies. He’s a witty, snarky, badass crime-solving bastard. What’s even more awesome is that his partner, Stephanie, is just as cool and witty. Stephanie is a 12 year old girl, who basically inherited her uncle’s problems upon his death. I must say she sounds older than 12, but I didn’t mind because I really liked the chemistry and dialogue between these two.

I also enjoyed the secondary characters. Tanith Low was cool and very badass. For some reason she reminds me of Tonks from Harry Potter. I also enjoyed Ghastly and Mrs. Bliss. From this first book it seems like these characters have stories of their own and I’m very interested in finding out more about them.

The audiobook for this story was excellent. I loved the musical accompaniment, especially for Skulduggery’s scenes. It really suited the character. My only real compliant about the narration is that it seemed like Skulduggery’s “voice” would change. It was annoying, because I was never sure if he was the one talking until I listened to more of the audio and then I would have to re-listen to those parts. Also, I’m not sure if this is due to the audiobook or writing, but I found the action scenes hard to follow. Another GR, friend read this book though and thought the same thing, so I believe it has more to do with the writing than the audio.

Overall though, this book was really enjoyable. Very witty, funny and nice fast paced action.