Four Sisters, All Queens - Sherry Jones This is another gem I found through my group Historical Fictionistas . Sherry Jones was nice enough to join our group for the discussion, which helped to add to my enjoyment of this book.

Four Sisters, All Queens takes place in 13th Century Europe and follows the lives of the Savoy sisters. The countess of Provence, Beatrice of Savoy, is an ambitious mother who begins setting the foundation for her daughters’ lives as soon as they are born in an effort to ensure the safety of her homeland. Due to her efforts two of her daughters are married to kings (Marguerite marries King Louis IX of France, Eléonore weds Henry III of England) and the other two are married to brothers of kings, but eventually become queens (Sanchia becomes Queen of Germany and Beatrice becomes Queen of Sicily). Beatrice of Savoy raises her daughters with the motto “Family comes first” but the motto is quickly put to the side as competition, ambitions, jealousies and treachery threaten their family relationships. Quite honestly, I didn’t think the motto had a chance anyway because once the sisters were married they married into new families. How can you justify putting your sisters above your own child or husband? These are issues the sisters deal with as they claw their way up the food chain.

I liked Sherry Jones narration of the story. It starts out with Beatrice explaining her plans for the girls and then moves onto each of the sisters narrating their own chapters, so that we get an overall picture of what occurs. Sherry did a great job with giving each of the sisters their own unique voice. It was easy to know who was narrating without having to look at the chapter name. There is also a bit of everything for every kind of reader- lots of historical detail without being overbearing, just enough romance, treachery, intrigue, war and action, etc. It never felt like there was a dull moment. The drawback was that, at times, time flew a little too quickly and I didn’t realize how much time had passed between narrators. Also, sometimes the sisters came off as a little too whiny. Their stubbornness always got in the way and at times I just wanted to shake them. However, it was still a good read and worth checking out.