Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs If I were to base this solely on creativity this book would definitely get 5 stars. I loved how Riggs made this creative, unique storyline based off old mostly freaky photos. It really created a nice creepy and mysterious atmosphere throughout.

Unfortunately, the story line fell a bit short for me and that’s why I have to go with 4 stars. There were two things that really bugged me: (1) the romance that was thrown in and (2) the villains and the action at the end. This all goes into spoiler territory so I’m putting it all under a tag: Regarding the romance- I just thought it was unnecessary. For a lack of a better word- I found the romance “icky”. I’ll just keep it at that.

As for the villains- I didn’t understand how the wight knew that the submarine was going to be there at that time or how the wights were manning the submarine. Were these new wights that took over for that day which means the whole thing was preplanned? To me this part of the story was not fully explained and per the rules of the world it seemed illogical.

Other than those two things that bugged me I must say that the writing was great. Nice descriptions, good pacing and very creative. I can’t wait to see what happens with the sequel.