The Mischief of the Mistletoe - Lauren Willig Just when I was starting to lose hope with the Pink Carnation series a book challenge prompted me to read this one. I’m glad it did because I enjoyed it and it restored my hope a little.

While the book is listed as book #7 in the series, this is not true. It’s actually 4.5 in the series. Some of the events in this book are concurrent to events in [b:The Temptation of the Night Jasmine|3701590|The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5)|Lauren Willig|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347451751s/3701590.jpg|3752586]. It is however, best to read it as #7 because one of the characters mentioned is also mentioned in [b:The Betrayal of the Blood Lily|6580569|The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6)|Lauren Willig|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347567505s/6580569.jpg|6644882] so it makes it easier to pick up some references. Also, I think it should be noted that Colin and Eloise do not make an appearance at all in this one. I was actually relieved and happy about this because they’re both starting to annoy me at this point in the series.

If you’ve read the series this far you will know that Turnip has always been portrayed as a doltish fop. He always appears as the comedic relief in the series. Therefore, it is really hard to take him seriously as a love interest, but I think Willig managed it well enough. He’s not a character you pine over or dream about, but he’s endearing enough that you want him to succeed at the whole love thing. His love interest, Arabella, is your average plain Jane wallflower. I liked her though. Quite honestly, I had a hard time remembering Arabella from the previous books so my guess is that she really faded into the background. It was a nice change of pace though to have a truly average looking couple get together for a change.

I found some parts of the story rather repetitive, but overall it was a cute, enjoyable story. The mystery part was fun and I liked that it wasn’t predictable, unlike the previous book. Three very merry tally-ho’s from me!