The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Okay, so just from reading the book description you know this book is going to be a tear jerker. I mean how can it not? Kids with cancer is a sad topic. Just try keeping a dry eye during those St. Jude marathons. It’s not an easy topic to tackle, so I have to tip my hat to John Green for shedding a bit of light on the topic.

I enjoyed this book, well as much as you can enjoy a book with such a sad topic. It was poignant. I enjoyed the quirky characters, the plot, the writing and even the tears and questions of mortality that this book raises. However, I did have a few problems with it, hence the 4 star rating.

My first problem was the dialogue. It wasn’t realistic. Teens, strike that…people don’t talk like they’re portrayed in this book. I understand these teens are going through very grown up situations, but that doesn’t mean their speech becomes so grown up and stuffy. I even had a hard time believing that Hazel was in college, considering her 2 year long battle with cancer. I don’t know. Maybe because I had a friend who died at 17 from leukemia and have had relatives in near death cancer situations, but it’s a long, hard and tiring road. Realistically, schooling would’ve been the last of Hazel’s worries.

My second problem goes into spoiler territory, so I’m going to put it under a tag:
I had a huge problem with the way Make-A-Wish was portrayed in this book. When Make-A-Wish grants a wish it’s a huge ordeal. There’s cake and balloons and limos and nice hotels. All the “cancer perks.” Why was any of that included in this book? Why were Hazel’s parents driving them around and why was their schedule not settled? It didn’t make any sense to me and threw me out of the story.

Which brings me to a slight plot issue that I had- Hazel didn’t figure out Augustus’ cancer was serious after he tells her about Make-A-Wish. Hazel points out in the beginning that Augustus’ type of cancer was curable and even said himself his odds were 85% when first diagnosed, which she envied. So, why didn’t she put two and two together and figured out his cancer had come back? Especially, since she was a former receiver of a wish I felt like it was in her face. Anyway, this bugged me.

Overall, I think Green did a great job with such a horrible topic. I highly recommend it along with a big box of tissues.