Duma Key - Stephen King I’ve always been a coward when it comes to reading Stephen King. Seeing his name on a book cover automatically makes me turn around and run away. It’s nothing personal against King. It’s just that I tend to shun anything with horror…from movies to haunted houses to books. King being “The King of Horror” automatically puts him on that list. The thing is I have a few GR friends that are King aficionados who kept insisting that King wasn’t scary at all and that he’s great and blah, blah, blah. So finally when a group of them decided to read the Dark Towers series I decided to put my Big Girl Panties on and try it out. Turns out King wasn’t so bad and I liked his writing. I made it part way into The Waste Lands before putting it to the side though. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I wasn’t in the right mind set to continue.

Anyway, a year or so later I started getting better about the whole horror thing and decided to branch out a bit. That’s when I came across this book waiting for me at a library sale. I shelved it in my bookcase till I had the time and fortitude to tackle the behemoth. That time finally came and although I was excited I was a bit apprehensive. What if it was too scary? What if I started getting nightmares? Who was going to protect me? *gnaws fingernails* My GR friends assured me that it was all psychological; King is not scary, yada, yada. Putting my Big Girl Panties once again I ended up plowing through this sucker. I loved absolutely every minute of it! I even listened to the audio, which I highly recommend. It’s rare for me to listen to an audio and then go back and read what I just listened too, but that is exactly what I did. I didn’t want to miss a single word King wrote. I wanted to live in the experience again and again. I felt like I was in an Herbal Essence commercial every time I opened this book “Yes! Yes! YEEEEESSSSSSS!” *smokes cigarette*

So yeah, I highly recommend either reading this one or listening to the audio or better yet doing both. While there were some moments that stopped my heart for a second it was not scary. Parts of it were creepy. I knew I was being lured in by King, but I totally didn’t mind because the journey there was so damn good.

I’ll leave you with a quote that touched me to the very core because I swear I had a moment in my life where I felt this way, but didn’t have the words for it:
"I told myself there was time. Of course, that's what we always tell ourselves, isn't it? We can't imagine time running out, and God punishes us for what we can't imagine."