Hearts in Atlantis - Stephen King Hearts in Atlantis is a series of 5 short stories that interconnect to make one long story. It’s the first time I’ve read a book set out in this format. While I liked the formatting, I sort of had a love/hate relationship with the book. There were some stories that I enjoyed like Bobby’s and Blind Willie’s story, but there were others that I felt like I slogged through. Yet, I didn’t feel like I could skip them because I wanted to know the greater arc of the story.

I can’t put my finger on exactly what caused my disinterest in some of the stories. The only thing I can say is that this book was one of those that once I put down I didn’t really think about it again. Hearts didn’t call for me to pick it up again. Don’t get me wrong. There were some great lines, particularly in Bobby’s story, but for the most part I felt disconnected from the characters as they grew up. What I did find interesting was how King connected the stories.

I’ll just put this out there for those that don’t know- Hearts has references to the Dark Tower series. I’ve only read up to #3 in the DT series, so I felt a little lost reading the references.