The Hidden Gallery - Maryrose Wood, Jon Klassen In the last installment, Ashton Place was left in ruins thanks to The Incorrigibles and their new pet squirrel, Nutsawoo. This one picks up a month or so after. As repairs are still underway, Lady Ashton gets the bright idea (of course, after it was mentioned to her by Miss Lumley) to temporarily move everyone into a London townhouse. This presents plenty of opportunity for “educashawoo” excursions for Miss Lumley and The Incorrigibles as well as social opportunities for Lady Ashton. Or so, that’s the plan. But, as the book points out even the best laid plans go astray.

The book started a tad slower than the first one, but once it got going it was pretty good. I liked how Ms. Wood reminds readers of what happened in the previous book without going on for pages or interrupting the flow of the current story. Not many authors share this talent. She’s also able to inject educational tidbits without bringing the story down.

In this second installment, we have the same characters as before but we also meet a nice playwriter dubbed Simawoo by the children and we finally meet Miss Mortimer, Penelope’s old school mistress. We also meet Gypsawoo and some pirates!

As for the mystery portion of the story, just like the last one there is no resolution. However, readers are given a few more clues, so the plot thickens in time for the third installment.

Like the first this one is a fun read. It’s appealing to children of both sexes and I think adults will enjoy it too.

This was one of my favorite quotes in the book:
"As Agatha Swanburne once said, 'To be kept waiting is unfortunate, but to be kept waiting with nothing interesting to read is a tragedy of Greek proportions.'"

So true, Agatha. So true.