Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez Even though I own 2 graphic novels, I am by no means a graphic novel reader. Quite honestly, the ones I own are thanks to GR friend recommendations. One of them has been sitting on my shelf for a few years, because I haven’t worked up the motivation to read it. Anyway, I’m participating in a challenge with a manga bonus now, which helped light a fire under my ass to pick them up.

I went into this experience open-minded. I’ve read Joe Hill’s NOS4A2, which I highly enjoyed so I figured I would have an easy time getting into his graphic novel. Admittedly, it was a bit bumpy at the start. There were a few time line changes and I was still getting used to the look of the characters, but once I overcame this minor bump it was smooth sailing and I ended up enjoying the experience.

I thought the artwork was gruesomely wonderful. The creepy atmosphere of the story really came through in the artwork. Also, I liked that the text was easy to read. Part of the reason why I’ve stayed away from GN’s is because sometimes the text is hard to read. I’ve seen some GN’s where the artist tends to squish text in. I didn’t find I had that problem with this one.

Joe Hill is a fantastic story teller. In the beginning of this graphic novel Hill is given praise for being able to write in different formats. He writes short stories, novels and now graphic novels. I have to say that the praise is much deserved. He is simply talented. Twice he’s gotten me out of my comfort zone and I’m still excitedly looking forward to more of his work.