Spell of the Highlander - Karen Marie Moning After reading The Immortal Highlander, which focused on the infamous fae Adam Black, I was worried where Moning was going to take the series now that he’s not present. From the beginning, the fae story and Adam’s interference is what drove the series forward. Surprisingly, the fae story continues without Adam Black. It’s not very prevalent in this book, but it becomes an important factor towards the end of the book and it looks like Moning has a plan of sorts to take it in another direction.

**As a side note, I’m realizing now that it seems like when Moning started this series she didn’t have a clear cut direction as to where to go with it. The Fae world was important, but up until now it hasn’t been an integral part of the story. It consisted mostly of Adam fucking around with people and getting couples together. It wasn’t until the MacKelters were introduced that the Fae story started developing. Now that there are 3 MacKelters in the present day Moning has to account for why they’re here and give them a purpose. That’s something I’m actually looking forward too because it’s getting tiresome having these couples get together but not serve a purpose in the greater arc of the story. At the same time it makes the first few couples rather worthless because their relationship to the other books was very minimal. **

As for the romance in this book Moning continues the formulaic relationships from her previous books. Once again we have another super muscular Alpha male and his hardworking, ultra-responsible Mary-Sue virgin female. It’s sort of funny that I’m able to suspend complete belief regarding the Fae world, but I have a hard time believing that there are all these good looking, hardworking 25-ish year old virgins out there. Anyway, I did like Cian’s and Jessi’s chemistry. They were rather funny together. The problem is that once again, the couple is like every other couple so they don’t stand out in any real way except for the hero’s magical specialty.

Overall, this book served its purpose as an escape from the real world so I’m not really complaining, but I would like for the greater arc of the story to move along.

Side note to my original side note (O_o)…
**Okay, so before I published this review, I took a look at the publishing dates and it looks like this is the last book in the series and it was published back in 2007. The next one is Into The Dreaming, but it’s a short novella and from the description it looks like it has nothing really to do with the MacKelters. So, it looks like Moning wrote herself into a corner after all and hasn’t bothered to get out.