His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik I put this book on my list because it meshed two of my favorite genres: historical fiction and fantasy. However, I’m not a big fan of military or war in my books so I sort of put off reading it. So stupid of me! This book was fantastic!

This story was engaging from the very beginning. I loved the writing style. It was surprisingly witty and easy to read. I thought it would get bogged down with war and military strategy, but it wasn't. There was enough detail to make the story believable, but not enough to make my eyes glaze over. :)

I also loved Novik's dragons. I can't say there was anything new or really original in Novik's concept of dragons because I've seen different elements of her idea used in other books. But, I fell in love with the dragons' personalities. I never thought I would find myself crying over a dragon, yet that's exactly what I did at one point. Went into a straight ugly cry. I fell particularly hard for Temeraire. Gods, I wanted to give this dragon a great big hug!!! I loved his relationship with Laurence. I can't wait to read more about these two.