Origin - Jennifer L. Armentrout Like many fans of this series I was chomping to get my hands on the next book after reading the huge ass cliffhanger at the end of Opal. After the long wait this one satisfied and now, yet again, Armentrout has included a whopper of a cliffhanger making me antsy for the next one. *sigh* Can’t catch a break with this author.

I really liked this addition to the series. I’ve stated before that I really like Armentrout’s world building. The role of Deadalus and the war between Arum and Luxen has fascinated me from the very beginning of the series. In the last few books (I’m including Obsession in this because it takes place in the same world as the Lux series and expands on the war) Armentrout has done a good job of revealing more and every reveal is more disturbing than the last. In Origins, Katy’s firsthand accounts of Daedalus’ experiments gave me chills. Yet, there is a small part of me, especially where the book left off, that thinks some of Daedalus’ work is necessary but their ethics is obviously questionable.

For the most part I really enjoyed Origins. It was refreshing that Armentrout broke her usual writing style mid-series and included both Katy’s and Daemon’s point of views. I enjoyed being in the heads of both characters. The one problem I had was with the love relationship. It has become way too lovey dovey for me. Damn, I never thought I would ever think that, but yeah. This is how many of their scenes went:

Katy: I love you
Daemon: I know. I love you more though.
Katy: Not uh. *giggles & gives Daemon google eyes.*
And then Daemon kisses her and Katy goes into a full blown account of how spectacular and desperate and and live changing and earth shattering and…(stick as many vomit-inducing adjectives as you can here) the kiss was.

This is how it went FOR EVERY FUCKING KISS.

Look, I get it. It’s desperate times and both think they’re going to die at some point. But, you know…sometimes a kiss just has to be a kiss, so when those really desperate moments come the kiss and sex is extra special. When each kiss is soul shattering it makes things less special. Plus, it got to the point where I felt like I was intruding on the characters. Like I’m some sick peeping Tom looking into these characters’ heads at their awesome sex life. I didn’t like feeling like that.

So anyway, yeah. For that and for Katy constantly mentioning her blog and love of books at the most inopportune times I have to take one star. I really do love Katy’s bookish ways and obviously empathize with her, but I mean we have to think about our priorities here…like staying alive. I felt like Katy’s blog and books were mentioned more than her mother.

Despite, minor complaints I am looking forward to the next in the series. 2014 can’t come soon enough!